Sunday, May 22, 2011

One year on....

This week marks one year since I fell sick.  I am thankful for the year gone past...

Last Friday I celebrated my birthday.  My day was spent working on my assignment which I have procrastinated in doing and had already worked right up to the last minute on my 2nd extension!  We had youth on Friday which I still went along to.  We taught our youth a new song called "Paradise" by Adeaze.  It had a really strong message about not quitting.  The youth really got into it.  Later that night I returned home and finished my assignment at 4am.  What a burden off my shoulders it was, once I submitted it.  I wouldn't have enjoyed the awesome surprise my husband planned for my birthday otherwise.

So the next morning I slept in until 10.30am.  Dan told me to make sure I was ready by 12pm for my driver to pick me up.  I was trying not to think about what Dan had planned and just enjoyed the moment.  So I was almost ready and heard the horn beep.  I looked out the window and was so pleased to see my best friend Eleanore....what a blessing.  I was so glad to see her.  Just the look on her face was making me more excited.  She was telling me that my husband had done well to organise my day.  So off we went towards the Hutt.  We parked by her office and walked to where I would receive my second gift (El being my first ;) ).  Dan had organised for me to receive a full body massage.  I was so happy because after staying up so late to finish my assignment, it was something that I definitely needed.  I lay on the bed feeling relaxed and starting thinking about my husband and how much he has grown in the time we have been together.  I felt so blessed that I started to sniffle.  Only once has Dan really surprised me which was Valentines Day 2001.  I was living back in Auckland and Dan in Wellington.  He arranged with my cousin Anita to organise all these gifts and flowers around my workstation so that when I returned to my desk after a breakfast break with my work mate I walked in to find my desk covered with all the gifts.  I was so surprised I started crying.  Since then as you do his efforts had resorted to last minute jewellery gifts which I remember at one time I asked him to return them as I would much rather do something with him like go on a day trip, then to receive jewellery.  He accepted my request and since then has been trying so hard.  Another time for my birthday he had arranged the day off work and organised for us to travel to Picton on the ferry.  I had never been to the South Island.  It was such a beautiful trip.  I was thankful.

So back to lying on the bed and sniffling.  I reflected on my life and thanked God for the life he has given me.
After the health spa we walked back to her car.  I was then told to wait as our driver would arrive shortly.  When they finally arrived and stepped out of her car to find my family waiting.  My girls were all dressed.  I was so happy because I wanted to share my day with them.  Dan had organised lunch for us in Wellington city at a beautiful Japanese restaurant called Wagamama.  A must dine in place.  I was so thankful that Dan was being conscious of the healthy living I was trying to achieve.  After our late lunch, El took our girls home while Dan and I enjoyed our evening at the movies.  What a beautiful day.  I am truly blessed with what I have.  There is no way I would have achieved everything and enjoy the little luxuries in life without God in my life!  I am so thankful.

Dan's attention to me that day reminded me of a conversation that we had recently... about our relationship and feeling complacent.  I noticed that in my girls behaviour they tend to get quite snappy with each other, and I thought about my relationship with Dan.  I felt at times that our girls were mirroring our behaviour towards each other.  I raised this with Dan, and told him that we need to keep our marriage alive by making time for each other.  Keeping our relationship fresh.  I am so truly thankful for my husband and his heart to serve God.  If God wasn't a big part of his life I think he may have interpreted my concern as a reflection of him not doing what he is supposed to as a husband and father.  I told him that I would no longer wait for him to guess what I'm thinking if I feel that we need to spend time with him.  I feel that would be unfair to him as men and women are built in their own unique way.  Where men are weak in areas, women are stronger and vice versa.  So to be fair to Dan and to avoid any unnecessary angst towards each other, I would let him know what's on my mind and my heart.  I think that is fair....

The Word this weekend and especially this morning talked about changing our mindset to be like Christ and serving like Christ.  God came to earth in human form so that we would come to know him in the flesh.  As Jesus came to earth to serve others, so must we.  I pray with my girls in the morning to thank Jesus for being the example of how we should behave, forgive and care for others.  We go through life looking up to our role models, and when they fall, our hearts fill with sadness or anger that we turn to other things to fill that void in our lives.  We need to remember that even our role models are only human.  Role models make mistakes.  As do we.  We are not perfect.  But why not look to Jesus as our role model.  I am encouraged again this week to take on the mindset of our Christ and to continue to serve others.

In my leadership paper it talks about "Servant Leadership".  Leading others through our faith, through our service.  This is different from general leadership.  Servant Leadership is leading without the intention of becoming a manager or a Chief Executive but having the characteristics, again, of one with faith and humility.

Humility.  I love that word.  It always makes me feel that there is something greater than me.  That there are others that desire more of my attention my service in my family, my circle of friends, my community.  Humility.  Even to my own children I need to display that.  I am very much the believer of trying to teach my children the basics to living before the world does.  In doing so, humility is very much a big part of that journey.

I will be going home in a couple of weeks to spend time with my family.  I am looking forward to seeing them all.  I only hope that I can continue to be the example to them of how great one's life can be when you believe in something greater than the treasures of this world.  I will continue to train my mind to be Christ-like and every thing else will follow.

I am so blessed and thankful for everything I am given.  The opportunities, the near-opportunities, the experiences.  All of it.  So thankful. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment