Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Heart's One Desire...

I'm writing this blog while my husband sits with me singing "As the deer panteth for the water"...it's a beautiful hymn...My sister (in-law) sang it today at church, which I think was the first time she sang on her own with Dan...and it was such a blessing to listen to.  When Dan told me what song he and Liz were going to sing, I thought...argh! an old school hymn.  But I was so blessed listening to it today.  I was really put in my place after hearing it today.  We have all had the mind set of "oh no not that song", or "oh no not church again"...but until you make the experience "your own", you will always limit the experiences you have.

Oh wow I just found another song on youtube that my husband and I sang on our wedding day "There is none like you".  Such a beautiful song...

I really enjoyed our services today.  The messages shared in Sunday school and both services today were awesome.  Very much thought provoking.  This morning I taught my class about Jacob's dream in Genesis.  I was surprised at how much my class knew already.   We shared the kinds of dreams we have and I was reminded of a very vivid dream I had years ago about heaven.  Being able to see a stairway to Heaven, very much like in Jacob's dream.  I remember seeing a beautiful white castle, glistening in the sun.  I thought that had to be heaven.  I still remember the detail of that castle even now.

The end of the scripture talked about Jacob giving a tenth back to God for the blessings that he and his descendants will receive as God promised.  I went on to explain what that meant to my kids.  I think at a young age the lesson in giving to others is so important.  It's the act of selflessness that truly opens your eyes to humbleness and to a world that is beyond your own.  This morning's word continued that message.

The evening service was awesome.  Tonight's message came in Acts where during a storm Paul encourages his men to stay on the ship in order to be saved.  I am reminded that by sticking with my Lord, my life will be filled with love, forgiveness, humility and ultimately salvation.  The scripture about Paul was like that of Noah where God had told him to prepare for the storm and build an ark.  Not knowing what an ark looked like, Noah moved on faith and built the ark in time for his family to be saved.  These were examples of the decisions we need to make in our lives in order to be saved.  Parents were encouraged to lead the way for their children.  I am thankful that my girls understand why we serve a Mighty God.  I think about the message that Ps. Brian Houston spoke about starting our Christian walks is easy, it's maintaining our walks, our christian lives, that is hard.  That is where the challenge lies.  As a mother, I need to be sure of my relationship with my daughters.  One that is complete with honesty and love.  Leading the way for my girls through my example.

We've been blessed with more families joining us at church.  It has made me feel very proud as one of my kids in my class this morning described how she feels about church.  Proud that our church environment is one that our congregation feel safe in inviting others to come along and to share in the goodness that we feel every Sunday.  We are stepping outside of our comfort zones to allow for others to be a part of our worship.  I've had other youth ask me about their friends wanting to come along to church but was afraid of how they should dress.  That their dress sense would not be acceptable in our churches.  How sad it is for our young people or even older generation to feel that they will not be accepted because of who they are as a person.  Our God sees beyond the labels, beyond the piercings, beyond the outter shell to the spirit within you.  It should be encouraged for others to come as they are.  It will be in time that they will understand their environment and change at their pace and at God's.

It is going to be a very busy week this week with assignments due, work projects, interviews, my family responsibilities.  I have my appointment scheduled for Tuesday and I will pray very hard that the uneasiness I feel is something minor like the flu.  With the awesome messages I have heard today, I am encouraged to stay true to my walk, having faith that God is always with me, in every decision that I make.

I shed a few tears when Dan & Liz sang their song today.  Especially when the chorus was sung.  "You alone are my strength my shield, To you alone may my spirit yield, You alone are my hearts desire, and I long to worship thee"  How beautiful it was to close my eyes and mediate on those words alone.  With what I am going through physically, I was reminded that God is my strength.  He is my hearts one desire and I will ALWAYS LONG TO WORSHIP THEE....

Have a blessed week everyone xx

No comments:

Post a Comment