Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A tourist or a resident...

The message over this weekend has made me think a lot about commitment.  I headed this post as such because I often think about whether people attend a church to visit or do they make themselves a member therefore being a resident in their congregation.

As tourists, we don't settle in a place, because depending on the purpose of the trip or journey we are satisfied with only being there for a short period of time.  Our trip or journey seems fun and exciting.  We meet people for the first time.  Hang out with them a few times and then we say our goodbyes.  We often do things that we wouldn't normally do, probably because it doesn't matter too much if we embarrass ourselves or step out of our comfort zone because we won't be around for much longer.

This is similar to "visiting" a church.  We often make the effort because we know that we are only there for a short period of time.  We make an effort to say hello and have fun with people because ...hey...I'll be heading out soon.  I often think that there are times where we don't want to settle in a place/church because we don't want the honeymoon stage to fade out.  We move from place to place, church to church because we enjoy the honeymoon periods everywhere we go.

But to become a "resident" takes true courage, commitment and faith.  Staying permanently means that you will be faced with seasons.  Just as you would living in a country.  There will be summers, winters, autumns and springs.  With each season it takes courage to endure the heat, the storms, the wind and then finally the new beginnings.

Thinking about the people's comings and goings in church, I feel sad for those who say "yes I'll be there", "I'll come next week" or "I'll give it a miss".  It isn't so much about the attendance, but really an opportunity to connect with others and with God.  I don't think people really give themselves a chance to try again.  Just as we forgive others and give second chances.  Why can't we do the same to ourselves?  Could this be why we give up and not go to church at all, or go for the wrong reasons?  You can still attend church and not give yourself a chance to really hear the message.

"tourist" or "resident"...when I moved down, I was a visitor.  It felt really nice to always see the good side of people when they greet you, when they take you out for lunch.  But sooner or later, the honeymoon stage fades away.  Though I have been attending my church for 10 years, it was until 4 or 5 years ago, I realised that I can't find satisfaction anywhere else.  My spirit is fulfilled in my church.  I became a resident.

This week is leading up to the launch of our new brand for church.  We are excited about the opportunities that lie ahead with this change.  We are celebrating the courage to change with the times and stepping out of our comfort zones and letting everyone know about it.  I think this Sunday our church is confirming and making a public announcement that we are "residents" of our church...

Stay tuned xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment