Sunday, October 23, 2011

Checking in...

Now after 4 weeks has passed I've decided to revisit my goals.  Looking through my goals I haven't achieved any as yet but this week I'm determined to cross off goal 1 off my fitness list, and goal 1 off my feel good list.  The goal is within reach.  I'm remaining positive.  I have received comments from people that I have lost weight.  And knowing that I have only lost 4.2kgs, I think it's more about the way I carry myself.  I am feeling better about myself despite my shell (skin) cracking in some places (!).  I am positive and still loving me :)

It's my first Sunday back in Wellington.  Sunday school went well.  I enjoy teaching my kids.  I've decided that I'm going to make the most of what I teach my class.  My kids aren't going to enjoy class if I don't enjoy delivering what I have prepared.

Today's message talked about Jesus washing the feet of the disciples before he was captured.  The key messages in this passage talks about humility, His love and His example

1) Demonstrating humility
We often get so caught up in our own lives that we do not see the opportunities to demonstrate how we can be humble.  I can think of the many times my husband and I have disagreed and waiting on him to apologise or coming from a time when I would never approach others but wait on them to approach me.  Never making the first move.  But that often is what being humble is about.  Being the first to apologise, the first to say hello, the first show humility.  In my experience I've found that being humble brings about peace in any situation.  It can be difficult to put oneself aside and think about the other person in heated situations.  Especially when we want so much to be proven right.  There are so many great things that stem from humility.  Here are a few clips of some wonderful people who have put themselves aside to help humanity.

CNN Heroes - Narayanan Krishnan

CNN Heroes - Anuradha Koirala

Watching these videos put things into perspective for me.

2)  True Unconditional Love
In the passage in John it talks about Jesus loving even those in the world as well as His disciples.  One Love. True Love.  I have been a born again christian now for 11 years and one of the hardest things I endure is demonstrating unconditional love.  I have to keep reminding myself that those (people) that hurt me are the exact people that need to know God through me.  Having a mind and spirit that is aware of my situations is a blessing.  I have my own internal "checkpoint" :).  I used to think that saying "I love you" was difficult and not a term you want to throw around.  I felt that loving someone had a deeper meaning that could only be shared with those you really care about.  Walking with God and understanding his presence in my life I've come to the conclusion that my love is not meant for certain people in my life.  Jesus didn't reserve His love for only those close to him.  He loved everyone.  Of course, I am nothing compared to Jesus but He is the example I follow.  To show others how much I love my God, I need to reflect that love to everyone in my life.  Who am I to say only some deserve my love, when it is not my (completely) love to begin with. My love comes from God.  So it is destined to be shared.

3)  By Example
Lastly the passage talks about Jesus' example in washing the feet of His disciples.  How humble it is to witness and understand that as their (the disciples) teacher, He bows down and cleans their feet.  I think no matter how much we try to deny it, everything we do is an example to someone.  We are all built to search for answers.  We are made to find that certain thing that fills any void in our lives.  So we look to others in our lives, to our families, to our friends, to celebrities.  I had an interesting conversation with my girls the other day about one of the celebrities they like who revealed that she steals clothing from the set that she works on.  At the end of that conversation my girls understood that despite what celebrities do they don't have to copy them just because they like them.  I believe it is naive to think that we can go through life not thinking we have an influence on someone.  Why not follow the example of those who add positive values to their own lives.  We get so fixated on what society want us to do and to believe that we don't see how it impacts on our lives.  Another checking point for me is to take a step back from my own life and see how my life influences others, especially my family.

This week I continue week 5 of my journey.  I'm looking forward to ticking things off my to do lists....yes plural :).  My mum (in-law) asked me how my studies were going, and I sensed a slight disappointment (what I perceived) in her voice when I told her that I was having a break this semester.  I dreaded the moment that I would have to tell my mum of my plans given she is such a great example of persistence and perseverance having just completed her Masters.  But I need to be honest with myself by being honest with others if I am to commit to my plans.

I'm still loving life, and loving ME (even with my sore throat).  :)


_________________________________

Fitness list

  1. Walking up my street (very very steep hill)
  2. Walking up the Stokes Valley stairs non-stop
  3. After losing 15kg - walk up Wainuiomata Hill
  4. After losing 30kg - walk up mount in Porirua
  5. Rock climbing
  6. Join a touch team in the summer
  7. Join a basketball team


Feel good list

  1. 5kg loss reward - Go to a Hot Spa :)
  2. 10kg loss reward - Go to a Hot Spa again :)
  3. 15kg loss reward - New shoes
  4. 20kg loss reward - Full body massage
  5. 25kg loss reward - New clothes ;)
  6. 30kg loss reward - 
  7. 35kg loss reward - Weekend away with my family
  8. 40kg loss reward - Girls night...Time to cleanse the spirit :)
  9. 45kg loss reward - Fit into my new size 16 summer dress
  10. 50kg loss reward - New Graduation outfit
  11. 55kg loss reward -  Fit into my size 14 summer top I bought years ago when I did Weight Watchers but gave up just before I could fit into it.
  12. 60kg loss reward - Make over and "first date" with my handsome husband....who will surprise me with a trip to the Greek Islands (I hope he reads this lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment