Friday, October 7, 2011

Conversations with my Dad...

So this morning I decided to go for a walk with my dad.  My dad loves to walk and walk for hours! :)  It is a time that I enjoy hanging out with my dad.  So off we went at 8am walking the streets of my old :)  For an hour and 45 mins, our time was spent talking about the neighbourhood and what we used to do back in the day.  We talked about life and our perspectives on many things.  An interesting conversation we had was talking about death and what funeral arrangements meant in the Samoan culture.  I laughed when my dad changed the subject. :)

While we walked the streets I made the commitment to walk more with my dad while I'm here.  I think as we grow older we try to do more with our parents, but more in the sense of taking them out to dinner or whatever.  But I'm finding that what our parents want most is the companionship, the conversation.  There are times where they would appreciate being spoilt but sometimes it's really keeping things simple that they would prefer.  It's a chance for me to get to know my parents all over again.  I've been living away from home for over ten years now.  So there is ten years that I need my parents to catch up on. 

I'm really enjoying my time with my family this time 'round.  I think with this journey I'm going through it is only good timing for me to return home so that I can work on the next level of my internal journey.  Looking at the inner me, I see me smiling and ready to take on what these two weeks will bring.  I have GREATNESS within me.  Having these conversations with my dad will only help me to really appreciate the goodness that I have been raised with and discard the bad.  GREATNESS acknowledges the bad but does not hold onto it.  GREATNESS learns from what WAS and makes way for what WILL.

Talking with my dad I've realised that my heart is more open to hearing how he sees life.  I think about my relationship with my dad, and I liken it to my relationship with God.  Our dads are an earthly representation of our heavenly Father, or so they should strive to be I think.  In God there is perfection, there is no wrong.  So when there are times I do, do wrong my relationship with God is not in that moment.  My relationship with my dad is very much like my heavenly Father in that, it has been a while since I last spoke to him too.  Like my walk was today, filled with reminiscing, laughter and advice, so too should my conversation with God.

I am challenged during this time to continue my conversations with my Dad and to continue my conversations with God, to whom I can do ALL things!!!

 There is GREATNESS in my relationship with my dad...as there is in my relationship with GOD xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment