Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 42 - I was feeling good until...

I didn't need any medication through the night which is an improvement and I'm happy about that.  Hopefully that will continue.  Am almost over taking these pills.  Dan reminds me lovingly why I need to take them.  Even this morning just the sight of them put me off.  At the moment a full glass of juice seems to help down the the white, brown and blue pills.


So I was getting ready for the nurse to arrive and I checked my picc line.  I described earlier that the line is used to feed the antibiotics direct into the blood stream at the top of my heart.  Somehow, the line was bent causing the antibiotics to be blocked off, meaning that the medication wasn't fed through for 24 hours.  I'm really annoyed because like any medication you need to take it consecutively for the meds to be effective.  I'll have to wait until the nurse comes and discuss this with her.   Darnit! I had a gut feeling last night to check it.  I had only checked the bottle but not the line!  Always go by your instinct! Here are some shots of my picc line:








I took my pills and prepared breakfast.  My nurse arrived.  We started with the usual checks.  My blood pressure has been low for the past three days which is an indication of dehydration, so I really need to drink alot.  I decided to set my phone alarm to drink two glasses of water every hour for 8 hours.  That should get the habit going.  I used my phone alarm for taking my meds and now when my alarm goes off my youngest Zemira says "Mummy I can hear your phone you need to take your medicine now". :) So cute.  With feeling quite sick on Saturday the nurse had to call the consultants at the hospital and thankfully I didn't need to go back in.  I have appointments this week for another MRI scan and to meet with the consultants about my progress.  I have to be really pedantic and let the nurses know about every feeling that I have but most importantly how my legs feel.  Before she leaves the nurse reminds me again to take it easy.


Take it easy *sigh*.  I can't believe I sat for 6 hours yesterday on the same couch.  I am never one to sit in front of the tv or stay indoors all day.  My dad had always told me and my brothers to go outside and play some sport or do something active outdoors.  Backyard cricket seemed to always be our favourite pastime.  Memories of playing tipiny with my brothers was always so much fun.  For some reason we would always laugh at when one of us would smack the ball as far as they could over the fence.  But the laughing would stop when we realised we didn't have another ball to play with.  That's when the chasing would begin.  The last time I played backyard cricket was a couple of years ago when I dared Ben to grab Dad's oranges from his tree and bowl them to me and Smack! orange debris splattered everywhere.  The fun lasted for only a short while.  Dad started picking up oranges and throwing them at us. :)


I'm looking forward to having my youngest brother Ben spend the rest of the week with us to lend a hand.  He will be our designated driver throughout the week.  But first task will be to do something about our driveway.  I just read through my medical notes and glimpsed over something that I had signed where I would ensure the entrance to my house would be safe for the nurses when they arrive for my appointment.  Oops! will get onto that.


My husband told me yesterday that he is asked about how I'm doing by our family and friends and he doesn't know how to answer because he doesn't really know himself.  I wish I knew what to say too.  I take pain relief which only keeps the pain at bay so you can imagine that if I stop taking the pain relief the pain would come back just the same as before.  We would only know if there were any progress with the infection after I have had scans done.  One is due tomorrow. So it's difficult for us to tell people about how I am doing.  All I can say is that I am in good spirits and am just taking it a day at a time.  This blog has helped be stay positive and receiving comments from everyone is definitely distracting me from what's happening with my body.  Thank you.


My husband shared with me how he has been feeling.  This has made me feel happy that he is sharing how he truly feels, sad that he feels that way, strong and more love for him for having the courage to risk that I would feel worse for him to tell me something.  I talked about when a couple finally become one they feel everything that the other feels.  It will always be heartbreaking to hear, see or feel what your partner is going through but that is how things are meant to be.  When one falls the other is there to pick you up again.  That is how we are made.  We always try to be strong for each other which most of the time works but other times, to see the emotion is all that we need to feel strong again.  I find that at times when I feel down, Dan will try to be strong for me and my girls.  I would then plead for him to share with me how he really feels and the moment he lets his guard down and shares, then I begin to feel stronger for him.  It's just the way it works and I am thankful that our relationship works that way.  It would be very difficult to move on in life if we were both to feel down we would turn elsewhere for a kind of support to lift us up again and in more times than one it is not always good for us if it is to lead us away from positive people/things in our lives.


I also talked about interviews that Oprah had with sexual offenders/ child molesters and just the same as a child feeling neglected by their parents and begins to look for love elsewhere is the same as feeling neglected by your partner.  It may not be obvious that your partner would look to someone else for that affection but material things, time with friends, time on network sites etc are just the same.  Dan and I try very hard to limit our time on such things and that our time with each other, our girls and family and our own time is more important.  We've been married for 8 years now and we have made so many changes and found strategies that work for us.  Just as I'm sure you have tried also.  Communication is very important and sometimes you would expect the other to read your mind about these things but assumptions never work.  


The email from my husband this morning sparked these thoughts/feelings about sharing and communication etc, and I'm glad he did share his with me and the food channel was making me feel nauseous. :)


I'm feeling tired and hungry now...so I'll blog later today. I hope your day is going well so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment